Thursday 12 April 2012

Dial A Deadly Number


My latest finished painting is 'Dial A Deadly Number.' Measuring 120cm x 60cm it takes the form of a storyboard or a comic strip if you prefer. I didn't want something with a one punchline ending or an obvious narrative that a real comic strip would provide. I've consciously tried to make the eye move around the painting without allowing it to communicate one single meaning derived from the images. The shape and position of the panels was important to me - I hope they create a rhythm and have a formal abstract balance. I like to watch 1940's/50's film noir and that influence is probably fairly obvious but I also enjoy watching television made in the 1970's - I like the writing and the style and the way they switch from often sumptuous stage-like video to grainy 16mm film.
If you'd like to see 'Dial A Deadly Number' it is currently on display at Gallerina art gallery - 37 Duke Street Darlington Co. Durham DL3 7RXTel: 01325 363635.

No comments:

Post a Comment